Instant Indian Remedies for Constipation
If you are suffering from this morning problem, I must say you are very much sick. If you are going to ignore this problem you are breeding diseases and infections in your body. All our diseases arise from stomach.
Constipation is curse of modern lifestyle. Bowel moment takes place in colon. If you are constipated u are holding on toxins and wastes in your body. 70-80% of our immunity develops in our colon.
What happens when you are constipated?
- It creates hardened faecal matter along the walls of colon.
- Toxic waste means toxic gases which means presence of poison in your body.
- Lack of immunity, more infections, prone to diseases.
Here are the major reasons behind constipation.
You have to find out which is applicable to you so that you can work on the root cause and solve the problem without using any medicine.
1. Diet- Regular intake of refined and processed foods, high sugar foods, salt rich foods and lack of fibre in diet. Add good number of raw foods in each meal as they provide fibre as well as live digestive enzymes which helps in good digestion.
2. Insufficient walking and exercise- Due to sedentary lifestyle food take longer time to digest and travel through the colon. By the time it reaches colon most of the water is absorbed out and it becomes hard stool which becomes difficult to pass out.
3. Drinking less water- Water makes the stool travel to colon and then out. Increase the amount of water intake specially in the morning up to 1 litre. Take warm water at least 2-3 times a day.
4. Inadequate sleep / high stress levels/ anxiety/fear/worry/tensions- All leads to constipation.
5. Consciously stop the urge to pass the motion- Don’t try to hold on your stools due to your busy schedules.
“Some of you might be using laxatives and pills to cure this problem but if you are using them since long these laxatives are harmful and have side effects on human body. They wash off all the B vitamins from large intestine.”
Change your lifestyle rather than depending on these medications.
Here I am going to list few gentle holistic healing remedies that are easy to implement and very effective.
You don’t have to do everything at once. Just take it one step at a time and observe the results.
1. Prune juice- Soak 7-8 prunes in water for 5-6 hrs, blend it nicely and drink this juice as first thing in morning.
2. Overnight Soaked 10-20 black raisins in a glass of water. Chew the raisins and drink the water after adding juice of lemon to it.
3. In case of vitiation of vaata, oil or ghee should be taken. Adequate oil and ghee should be included in diet to ensure lubrication of the colon. Take 1 tbsp of desi cow ghee in 1 glass warm water along with ½ tsp of salt. Drink this concoction as a first thing in morning.
4. Many a times due to fear of weight gain we do not eat satisfactory amount of food, which doesn’t form a bulk in stool. Start eating good amount of food that forms bulk in stool. Adequate bulk should be taken, such as whole grains or bran and also good amount of Fibre helps in peristalsis movement.
5. The best evacuant is castor oil. Castor oil is not only useful for bowel evacuation but also has therapeutic and curative values.20-30 ml of this oil is to be taken with warm milk before going to bed.
6. Triphala powder is very popularly used by the ayurvedic physicians for the treatment of chronic constipation. One or two teaspoonfuls of this powder is mixed with a cup of warm milk and some sugar is added to it. It is to be taken at bedtime and its purgative effect is manifested early morning.
7. Malasana: Indian toilets are scientifically designed. When our ancestors sat down on the floor in a squatting position to pass a motion, that enabled a proper alignment for easier evacuation. This was then taken over by Western commodes and now again people are again getting back to squatty potty or stools realising the importance of squats. However, if you are constipated, try sitting in malasana for 1-2 minutes. You could even try sipping on a glass of warm water while in this pose and notice how it helps ease your bowel movements.