Why Kanchipuram Saree is the Perfect Bridal Attire for Your South Indian Wedding
South Indian weddings are a grand affair, known for their vibrant and colourful customs and traditions. One of the most significant aspects of a South Indian wedding is the bridal attire, which is a beautiful saree that symbolizes the richness and elegance of the culture. When it comes to South Indian bridal sarees, the kanchipuram saree is undoubtedly the queen of them all. Here’s why:
The History of Kanchipuram
Kanchipuram, a town in Tamil Nadu, has been known for its silk sarees for centuries. It is said that the art of weaving silk in Kanchipuram dates back to the 4th century when the town was ruled by the Pallava dynasty. The craft of weaving was passed down from generation to generation, and today, Kanchipuram saris are one of the most sought-after sarees in the world.
The Making of the Sarees
The kanchipuram saree is made from pure silk and has a distinctive style that sets it apart from other sarees. The saree’s body, border, and pallu are woven separately and then interlocked to form the final product. The silk used to make the saree is of the highest quality, and the zari (gold or silver thread) used in the weaving is pure. The saree’s intricate design is hand-woven, which takes several weeks to complete. The attention to detail and craftsmanship that goes into making this saree is unmatched.
The Elegance of Kanchipuram Silk Sarees
Exclusive kanchipuram silk sarees are known for their elegance and grandeur. They are available in a range of colours, from vibrant shades to pastel hues, making it easy to find a saree that suits your personal style. The intricate designs woven into the saree add to its beauty, and the zari work gives it a royal touch. They are perfect for weddings as they are grand and make the bride stand out on her special day.
The Significance of Kanchipuram Saris in South Indian Weddings
Kanchipuram silk sarees are an essential part of South Indian weddings. In fact, it is customary for the bride to wear a kanchipuram saree for wedding occasions. The saree’s rich history and craftsmanship make it a symbol of tradition and culture. It is believed that wearing this saree brings good luck and prosperity to the bride and her family. It is also a way of paying homage to the town of Kanchipuram and the skilled weavers who make these sarees.
How to Choose the Perfect Silk Saree for Your Wedding
Choosing the perfect saree for your wedding can be overwhelming as there are so many options to choose from. Here are a few tips to help you make the right choice:
1. Consider the colour: These sarees are available in a range of colours, so choose one that complements your skin tone and personal style. Bright colours like red, pink, and orange are popular choices for weddings, but you can also opt for pastel hues like peach and mint.
2. Look for intricate designs: Kanchipuram sarees are known for their intricate designs, so look for a saree that has beautiful zari work and embroidery. The more intricate the design, the more stunning the saree will look.
3. Pay attention to the border and pallu: The border and pallu are just as important as the body. Look for a saree with a border and pallu that have intricate designs and complement the colour of the saree.
4. Consider the weight of the saree: These sarees are made of pure silk and can be heavy. Consider the weight of the saree before making your purchase, especially if you plan to wear it for a long time.
5. Buy from a reputable seller: Kanchipuram silk sarees are expensive, and there are many fake ones in the market. Buy from a reputable seller to ensure that you are getting an authentic Kanchipuram sari.
In conclusion, Kanchipuram sarees are the perfect bridal attire for South Indian weddings. They are elegant, grand, and rich in history and culture. Wearing this saree on your wedding day is not only a way of paying homage to the skilled weavers of Kanchipuram but also a way of bringing good luck and prosperity to your life. So, if you are a bride-to-be planning for your South Indian wedding, consider a Kanchipuram sari as your bridal attire, and you will not be disappointed.